Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Crunchy curry coleslaw

Are you all looking for interesting salads to include at mealtime over the Christmas period?

I was inspired to make this little gem by the 4 Blades Podcast episode 27 Simple Summer Salads If you aren't listening to these guys cook their hearts out while you stroll around the river of an evening then you really should give it a go. They are in hot competition with my favourite Doctor Who podcasts and that is a sad addiction I should not even mention on a cooking blog


So anyway I read Bec's ideas here as well as the show notes and the original recipe mentioned which is here

And then I made it up as I went along (which is usually what happens here at Cafe Disarray)

Take: a handful of parsley (stalks and all), some coriander (I used 4 leaves of sawtooth coriander from the garden) and 40 g green onions (I only used the tops)


Chop 4 seconds at speed 10 and scrape down the sides


Add what Bec calls the "choppy bits"

I like to put carrot and apple in the bottom because big chunks of cabbage don't bother me so much. So I put in a medium carrot in chunks and a small red apple.


 Top with 1/4 small cabbage - up to about 3/4 full. Cabbage is in chunks too like this:


Chop at speed 4 for 6-8 seconds - watch carefully and stop chopping if necessary so it is only chopped not blended

Add the other ingredients: 
80g sultanas
80g frozen peas
60g almonds (I used whole because that is what we had but slivered would be nice)
4 tablespoons mayonnaise
3 teaspoons curry powder (I used Keens)


Stir on reverse speed 4 for 4 - 6 seconds
That's it. Done. Have a glass of wine while the man does the barbecuing.




No comments:

Post a Comment