Sunday, July 22, 2012

Freeform apple tart

This recipe started when Taff wanted to buy a chunky Kit Kat at the stupid market. Just let me check the points on my trusty WW app says I. Eleven! Eleven points on a Nestle product. That means we would compromise our budget, ethical stance and WW goal. "I am sure we can do better than that" says moi (secretly aware of Taff's fetish for all things involving cooked apple)

So we armed ourselves with a packet of short crust pastry and came home to create

First rule of weight reduction dishes involving pastry:
 You don't actually need pastry on the top and the bottom!


This halves the buttery goodness while still satisfying the pastry craving.

So I put that pastry sheet in the bottom of a pyrex pie dish and peeled and sliced four granny smith apples. I like apples that hold their shape once they are cooked and red apples generally go to mush, so I used Granny Smith apples.

Then I wanted some sweetness and spice so I sprinkled on 30 mls of real maple syrup (not the pretend stuff) and 4 teaspoons of dark brown sugar mixed with 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves and 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon.

At this point I considered trimming the pastry to make a neat tart, nut as I had already added up all the ingredients on the Weight Watchers recipe builder and found that this would only be 6 ProPoints a serve I figured we could enjoy ALL the pastry not lose some of it to trimming.
So at this point it became a free form tart - just fold or push the pastry in until it looks like this:
I put it in the oven at 160 deg for about an hour. It didn't over brown but the apples weren't cooked as much as I would have liked - I am glad they were slices not chunks. So I blitzed it in the microwave for 2 minutes which did the trick.
Here is the finished product
Next time I think I will blitz the apples for 2 minutes before filling the case, and toss in the filling rather than sprinkling it on top. But apart from that - add a dollop of good quality Greek yoghurt and dig in!

No comments:

Post a Comment